Saturday, March 8, 2008

The Beginning

I am the mother of Grace. She is seven years old and we just found out this week that she has ulcerative colitis. It has been quite the week with a trip to the hospital on Thursday for Grace to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy. The trip to Columbus was a fun one, as we jammed to Travis Cottrell on the way down. We are Christians and had been asking everyone for prayer. God was truly with us as Grace was so calm and in high spirits although she had gone through a "cleaning out" process the day before. The doctors and nurses were amazed at how happy my little girl was. God had given us all great peace. When given the option of having one of us go back with her, Grace decided that if only one of us could go then she would go by herself. She was such a trooper! She took her favorite bear, Alaska, with her, and we left them both at the OR door as they wheeled her in.

After about a two hour wait her doctors came out to let us know what they had found. Grace was diagnosed with a mild case of ulcerative colitis. They said that is was very much contained to the lower part of her colon. Although it would have been great if they had found nothing, we were glad it wasn't more serious than that. Grace did very well after the procedure and two days later we are only beginning the journey of understanding this disease and what it will mean for our little one.

One reason I wanted to start this blog was so that I can hear from those of you who may have this disease or know people who do. Grace's doctors talked about educating us and we certainly want that as well. We are trusting God that He is taking care of Grace and I believe that He is working for her good!

With all that said...welcome to the beginning of our journey.

3 comments:

ocean mommy said...

Kimberly,

Hi! I saw your comment on the LPM blog this afternoon and couldn't get here fast enough to tell you that I have said a prayer for you, your husband and your daughter Grace.

My husband was diagnosed with Crohn's disease early on in our marriage. (Like 8 months into marriage) It was touch and go for a long time, but praise the Lord he has had several good years.

I totally understand what you are going through. All the "fun" tests, and the incredibly fun prep for those tests!! I've been there.... just wanted you to know that I will be lifting you up as you help Grace through this. God will give you all you need for today, I promise. You'll figure out what foods work and don't work, what medication is best and what isn't. Until that point, I'm asking our Father to make you very aware of His presence and His peace.

You have all you need in Him. He is more than enough!!

Anticipating Him with you,
stephanie

katiegfromtennessee said...

Hey Kimberly,

I wanted to let you know I prayed for you when I noticed your post as I was looking through the others. I have a friend from high school whose husband has ulcerative colitis. I have found a book that might help: Maker's Diet by Jordan Rubin. The author had Crohn's and nearly died from it. His website is greatphysiciansrx.com i think or makersdiet.com.

your sister-in-CHRIST,

katiegfromtennessee

Profbaugh said...

Hey Kimberly,

Just saw your post on the LPM blog and thought I'd jump over here and offer my support. Know that I'm going to be praying for Grace--for comfort and healing and for you and your husband too. May the LORD provide you with that perfect peace that passes all understanding!

From one prof to another,
~Cheryl