Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hurricane Ike in Ohio

Well for the very first time in my life I got to experience the wrath of a Hurricane. Now we don't normally get Hurricane's in Ohio...well we never get hurricane's in Ohio...remants of course, but not the full blown thing. That was until Sunday. We experienced 75 mile per hour winds here in my little town of Mount Vernon. Our electricity went out at 5:00 pm on Sunday and we just got it back last night at 11:00 pm. Now having been part of the clean-up in New Orleans, I know that I have little to complain about, but frankly by Tuesday I thought I was going to lose my mind! Monday morning we cleaned the debris out of our yard and then headed out to see if our friends were doing ok. I could not believe the devastation! Trees were down everyone...not just tiny trees, but huge old oaks. I couldn't even get to my friend Heather's house because every road was blocked by downed trees. Now of course when the trees came down so did the power lines. Our university had to close on Monday and Tuesday. Grace was out of school until today. Although we have our electricity back on many still do not. Some have no water. We here in Amish country are beginning to understand just how they live....and frankly, I can't fathom it. I don't think of myself as a sissy, but to not be able to communicate with the outside world just about did me in.

On the bright side, my furniture was delivered earlier today and I now have electricity so all is well. Tonight you can catch me on my couch (or love seat) in front of the TV...all night!!!!

Kimberly

No comments: